A Brief History of the School
Trinity School was first established in 1841. First a school room was built for girls and infants next to Trinity Chapel (now Christ Church) in Trinity Lane. Then a school room for boys was added with teachers’ cottages built between the two rooms to separate boys and girls. Boys and girls were not taught together until 1947. As the number of pupils at the school grew the building was enlarged. By the 1930’s it was obvious that the old building needed a lot of improvement to bring it up to modern standards. In 1938 an appeal was launched to raise money for this, and by 1939 it had been decided to demolish the old school and build a new one. The war stopped the building but planning continued.
The school playing fields and allotments were next to the old vicarage (now Longlands close.) This land had been leased from the school by the Theobalds Estate. This was to be the site for the new school. After a great deal of fund raising and effort the new school was finally opened in July 1952. Except for a few minor additions the school has not greatly changed since that time and still has beautiful grounds in which the children can play and learning.
Headteacher’s Journal Entries
We have found the old journals from Head Teachers of the school dating back through it’s history. We will be sharing some of these records on this page as a look back to the past.
“9.1.1960 School reopened at 9am for the commencement of the Spring Term, the number on roll being 294. Mrs M. F. E Peckham commenced duties today as an Occasional Teacher in part charge of the Reception Class as no permanent appointment has been made to fill the vacancy caused by Miss Ford’s retirement.”
“26.9.1958 The School Harvest Thanksgiving Service took place in the Assembly Hall at 9am, the Chairman of the School Managers conducting the Service. Gifts of flowers, fruit, vegetables and groceries brought by the children were taken to Church for the Parish Harvest Festival.”
As we celebrate the Queen becoming the longest-reigning monarch in British history, we have chosen the school journal entry for 1952. She was crowned in February 1952. The school opened for the first time on this site in September.
“8.9.1952. School re-opened in the new school building at 9am when all the children, members of the staff, and the Chairman of the Managers met for morning assembly in the Assembly Hall. The number of children on the School Roll = 312. The School Canteen, sited on the premises, served meals on this day.”